1. Name, Age, Hometown:
Matilyn Waligora, 14, Rochester, Mich.
2. Do you have a nickname?
3. When and why did you first become interested in gymnastics?
Age 5, just because my parents put me in it for something to do while my brother was in Kindergarten.
4. When did you decide you wanted to compete? And, when did you want to compete on the elite level? What about competition appeals to you?
I started as a Level 4 as an 8 year old. The teachers saw that I was good enough from invitations from coaches.
5. What is your training regimen? Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
Monday,Tuesday,Thursday, I train 3:30-7:30 p.m., Friday, 3:30-6 p.m., and Saturday is 8-12 a.m.. 18-and-a-half hours a week. Every level I have gone up, I have trained a bit more each year.
6. What is your best skill?
My best skill is my bar dismount. My favorite is a Jaeger on bars.
7. What music do you use for your floor routine?
Hips Don’t Lie by Shakira
8. Who is your idol?
9. If you had to select one life lesson that gymnastics has taught you, what would it be?
10. What grade are you in and where do you go to school?
9th, homeschooled. I like it a lot.
11. What are your favorite subjects?
Math and science.
12. What are your goals for the future, both as an athlete and after you are finished competing?
I don’t want to compete past college. Goals while currently competing are the Nastia Cup, qualify to the Junior Olympic Nationals and make the J.O. National team. I would also like to make the Region 5 All-Star Team.
13. When you are not in the gym, how do you spend your time? Hobbies or favorite activities?
I like art. I go outdoors a lot. I like to do hair, nails and shop.
14. What is your favorite food?
Fruits and vegetables – I like watermelon.
15. Favorite movie?
The Longest Ride
16. Favorite musician?
17. If you had to pick three words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what would they be?
Confident, aggressive, and competitive.
18. If you had to pick three words to describe yourself not as a gymnast, what would they be?
Joyful, faithful, and fun.