1. Name, Age, Hometown
Kynsee Roby. 16. Gardner, Kansas.
2. In what cities to you live, go to school and do gymnastics?
My hometown is Gardner, Kansas, but I live in Windsor Heights, Iowa. I train at Triad Gymnastics in Ankeny, Iowa. I am a Sophomore at Valley High School.
3. When and why did you first become interested in gymnastics?
My mom had her own business, Ky’s Gymnastics and Dance, and I would go to work with her everyday. I grew up in the gym and I have been doing gymnastics ever since the age of 1.
4. When did you decide you wanted to compete? And, when did you want to compete on the elite level? What about competition appeals to you?
Competing is one of my favorite things about gymnastics. I love having the opportunity to go out on the floor and show everyone what I’ve been training in the gym. It is very rewarding to see all of your hard work pay off.
5. What is your training regimen? Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
I train six days a week for a total of 25 hours per week. I’ve been doing competitive gymnastics since the age of 5 so my schedule has always included practicing.
6. What is your favorite event?
My favorite event is Beam because I love the challenge of hitting every skill, every time.
7. What is your favorite skill?
My favorite skills are my full-in pike on floor and my double layout off of bars.
8. What music do you use for your floor routine?
“Resolve” by Nathan Lanier
9. Who is your favorite gymnast or who is your “idol”?
One of my favorite gymnasts to watch is Kyla Ross because her style of gymnastics is very clean and pretty.
10. How have you grown as a gymnast during your career, both skill wise and mentally?
I have become a smarter, more mature athlete. I use my time wisely in the gym, and make sure that every repetition counts. I have learned to be mentally tough during the hard training days, and it has made me into a confident athlete in the gym, as well as out on the competition floor.
11. How has gymnastics helped you as a person?
Gymnastics has prepared me for any situation I take on in life. I have learned to be mentally tough and I know I can overcome any challenge that stands in my way.
12. If you had to select one life-lesson that gymnastics has taught you, what would it be?
Gymnastics has taught me that it isn’t only about the athlete you become. It has taught me a life-long, valuable lesson that the type of person you are is more important than any skill you can learn.
13. What are your biggest accomplishments or best memories in your career?
Qualifying to the 2013 J.O. Nationals, verbally committing to the University of Nebraska, and qualifying to the 2015 Nastia Liukin Cup.
14. What grade are you in school, and where do you go to school?
I am currently a Sophomore at Valley High School.
15. Do you want to compete in collegiate gymnastics?
Yes, it has always been one of my goals to be a part of a collegiate team. I am verbally committed to the University of Nebraska and plan to join the team in 2017.
16. What are your favorite subjects, etc.?
Some of my favorite subjects include math and Spanish. I also enjoyed taking Photography as an elective.
17. If you plan to go to college, do you know what you want to study there?
I haven’t fully decided on what exactly I want to study. Some things that interest me are Sports medicine, Nutrition, Photography, as well as a coaching career.
18. What are your goals for the future, both as an athlete and after you are finished competing?
My goals for this year include finishing the season strong and qualifying for the 2015 J.O. Nationals. My long-term goals are to compete for the University of Nebraska. A goal of mine after I’m finished competing is to remain involved in gymnastics. I’m very interested in coaching and giving back to the sport that has always been apart of my life.
19. When you’re not in the gym, how do you enjoy spending your time? Do you have any hobbies or favorite activities? Charities?
When I’m not in the gym I like to hang out with my family and friends. I also love Photography and enjoy taking pictures.
20. What is your favorite food?
Balsamic glazed salmon, sushi, and fruit.
21. What is your favorite movie?
The Harry Potter series
22. What is your favorite book?
Hunger Games trilogy
23. What is your favorite music group?
I listen to anything pop related. Some of my favorite artists are Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande.
24. Do you have any competition rituals? Lucky charms?
I like to get out and do something – I don’t like to sit and wait for the competition all day. Before I compete I generally listen to music and get focused.
25. What’s on your IPod right now? What type of music do enjoy listening to? How about before a meet when you’re trying to get focused and pumped up?
I usually listen to Pop/Hip Hop music on Pandora. I always listen to music before a meet to get pumped up and get in the zone.
26. If you had to pick 3 words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what are they?
Determined, hard-working, perfectionist
27. What 3 words describe you as a person, not the gymnast?
Kind, funny, smart