1. Name, Age, Hometown
Kourtney Chinnery, 14, Suffolk, Va.
2. Do you have a nickname?
3. In what cities do you train and go to school?
I train and go to school in Newport News, Va.
4. When and why did you first become interested in gymnastics?
I began gymnastics when I was about 15-months-old. I had so much energy then and my daycare at the time actually had a contract with a gymnastics group so it made sense.
5. Do you have any good/funny memories from when you first started taking gymnastics classes?
In order to make me behave when I was younger, my parents would threaten to take away gymnastics from me because I loved it so much.
6. When did you decide you wanted to compete? And, when did you want to compete on the elite level? What about competition appeals to you?
I never really decided that I wanted to compete. I just continued doing it and moving up because I loved it so much. I was actually ready to compete a year before I was eligible. I enjoy competition because it allows me to put on a show. I don’t treat it as something serious. I just try to relax and enjoy it.
7. What is your training regimen? Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
Because this is my first year of being homeschooled, I train about five days a week for six hours a day. It was only really a change this year because of my starting homeschooling and it’s nothing I can’t deal with.
8. What is your favorite event?
9. What music do you use for your floor routine?
It’s a mix of “Let It Go” by Brit And Alex and “Say Yes” by Michelle Williams.
10. Who is your favorite gymnast or who is your “idol”?
Dominique Dawes. She’s such a great gymnast. She’s really inspiring with her whole career overall.
11. How have you grown as a gymnast during your career, both skill wise and mentally?
I’ve grown, not only physically, but also as a person because gymnastics has taught me to persevere and rely on my faith, to keep striving when things get tough.
12. If you had to select one life-lesson that gymnastics has taught you, what would it be?
13. What are your biggest accomplishments or best memories in your career?
My biggest accomplishments are becoming a JO National Team member and qualifying for the Nastia Liukin Cup.
14. What grade are you in school?
I am in 10th grade. I skipped a grade.
15. Do you want to compete in collegiate gymnastics?
Yes. I would love to do that.
16. What are your favorite subjects, etc.?
My favorite subjects are biology, music (because I play to piano), and calculus.
17. If you plan to go to college, do you know what you want to study there?
I’d like to study something in the medical field. I’m not sure what yet.
18. What are your goals for the future, both as an athlete and after you are finished competing?
My goals as an athlete are just to continue to strive to do my best, continue to trust God along the way, and follow His plan. I want to continue to get better and improve. I want to eventually compete in collegiate and maybe even Elite gymnastics someday. As a person, my goals are to continue to grow, go off to college and succeed athletically and academically, and graduate college.
19. When you’re not in the gym, how do you enjoy spending your time? Do you have any hobbies or favorite activities? Charities?
I like to relax with my family and friends. I play the piano and I love watching movies. I do a lot of community service hours in my free time, such as raising money and food to help feed the homeless.
20. What is your favorite food?
Either macaroni and cheese or chicken wings.
21. What is your favorite movie?
”Coming To America.”
22. What is your favorite book?
The “Narnia” series.
23. What is your favorite music group?
24. Are any of your family members current or former athletes? Which sports?
My brother ran track collegiately and I have a cousin who played football.
25. Do you have any competition rituals? Lucky charms?
I pray before, during, and after every meet. I continue to stay focused throughout the meet.
26. What’s on your IPod right now? What type of music do enjoy listening to? How about before a meet when you’re trying to get focused and pumped up?
I like to listen to R&B mostly, Hip-Hop, and some Pop music.
27. If you had to pick 3 words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what are they?
Strong, dedicated, and determined.
28. What 3 words describe you as a person, not the gymnast?
Comical, faithful, intelligent, and competitive. I couldn’t pick just three.