1. Name, Age, Hometown:
Amanda Cashman, 14, Princeton, N.J.
2. Do you have a nickname?
3. Where do you live to train? (Not your hometown unless you train in hometown).
We train in Hamilton but I can drive back and forth.
4. When and why did you first become interested in gymnastics?
I was 4 years old. I started with mommy and me class and started at Level 2 and went on from there.
5. Do you have any good/funny memories from when you first started taking gymnastics classes?
My mom says I use to cling to my coaches a lot.
6. When did you decide you wanted to compete? And, when did you want to compete on the elite level? What about competition appeals to you?
I don’t know. I kind of just started when I was really young. I compete at Level 10. I like being able to show off what you train for.
7. What is your training regimen? Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
We train from 2:30-6:30, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday and Saturday. It was kind of a gradual switch When I was in Level 4, it was only three hours and one day less.
8. What is your event?
I compete in all four.
9. What is your best skill?
Double layout off bars.
10. What music do you use for your floor routine?
I am not really sure of the name but it used to be Tasha Schwikert’s music. (2000 Olympian).
11. Who is your idol?
Mary Lou Retton
12. How has gymnastics helped you as a person?
It teaches me how to manage my time.
13. If you had to select one life lesson that gymnastics has taught you, what would it be?
Probably that if you work hard, it will pay off.
14. What grade are you in and where do you go to school?
I am ninth grade and I go to Montgomery High School.
15. Do you want to compete in collegiate gymnastics?
Yeah, I am verbally committed to the University of Utah.
16. What are your favorite subjects?
History – I like learning about the wars and what has happened in the past.
17. If you plan to go to college, what do you want to study there?
18. What are your goals for the future, both as an athlete and after you are finished competing?
My friend and I want to open a gym.
19. When you are not in the gym, how do you spend your time? Hobbies or favorite activities?
Probably just hanging out with my friends – we like to watch movies.
20. What is your favorite food?
21. Favorite movie?
Marvel the Avengers.
22. Favorite music group?
I don’t really have one.
23. Do you have any competition rituals? Lucky charms?
No, but my grandma gave me a rosary that I keep in my bag.
24. If you had to pick three words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what would they be?
Hardworking, powerful, and happy.
25. If you had to pick three words to describe yourself not as a gymnast, what would they be?
Fun, hardworking, and dedicated.