1. Name, Age, Hometown:
Jah’Liyah Bedminster, 13 years old, Loganville, Ga.
2. Do you have a nickname?
3. Where do you live to train? (Not your hometown unless you train in hometown).
4. When and why did you first become interested in gymnastics?
My parents started me in gymnastics when I was about 18 months old because I started standing on my head.
5. Do you have any good/funny memories from when you first started taking gymnastics classes?
There is no one specific memory that I remember, but I had lot of fun throughout the years.
6. When did you decide you wanted to compete? And, when did you want to compete on the elite level? What about competition appeals to you?
When I was around 4 or 5, my mom was asked to put me on the competition team. It’s fun and exciting, and I love to cheer and support my teammates.
7. What is your training regimen? Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
I train five days a week, four hours a day. It was not a big change when I switched to competitive gymnastics.
8. What is your favorite event?
Between bars and floors.
9. What is your favorite skill?
Double layout on bars, and I enjoy working on my double Arabian (even though I have not put it in my floor routine as yet).
10. Who is your idol?
11. How has gymnastics helped you as a person?
It helps me face challenges in life.
12. If you had to select one life lesson that gymnastics has taught you, what would it be?
If you don’t succeed, try again. Never quit.
13. What grade are you in and where do you go to school?
I am in eighth grade at Grace Snell Middle School in Loganveille, Ga.
14. Do you want to compete in collegiate gymnastics?
15. What are your favorite subjects?
16. If you plan to go to college, what do you want to study there?
17. What are your goals for the future, both as an athlete and after you are finished competing?
My goals as an athlete is to obtain a Division 1 college gymnastics scholarship and to complete at the Junior Olympic Nationals. My goal after finishing competing is to go to medical school.
18. When you are not in the gym, how do you spend your time? Hobbies or favorite activities?
When I am not in the gym, I spend time with my family. I enjoy swimming, dancing, building Legos, and traveling.
19. What is your favorite food?
I don’t have a favorite food, but I love Caribbean food.
20. If you had to pick three words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what would they be?
Dedicated, Humble, Persistent
21. If you had to pick three words to describe yourself not as a gymnast, what would they be?
Gymnastics is such an important role in my life and it help made me into the person I am today, so I will have to go with the same three words: Dedicated, Humble, and Persistent.