Twelve gymnasts qualify for 2022 Nastia Liukin Cup over weekend
INDIANAPOLIS, January 17, 2022 – Twelve athletes secured their spots for the 2022 Nastia Liukin Cup over the weekend. One junior and one senior athlete from Chow’s Winter Classic Invitational in Des Moines, Iowa, the Coaches Spectacular in Covington, Ky., Kim Zmeskal’s Texas Prime Meet in Irving, Texas, the Lady Luck Invitational in Las Vegas, Nev., the Star Struck Invitational in Atlantic City, N.J., and the Tampa Bay Turners Invitational in Palmetto, Fla., each earned the opportunity to compete for the Cup title Friday, February 25 at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas, ahead of the 2022 Winter Cup.
The weekend’s qualifiers are listed below alphabetically by competition. Click the event name for junior and senior results.
- Chow’s Winter Classic Invitational, Des Moines, Iowa: Greta Krob, Tipton, Iowa/Iowa Gym Nest (junior); Molly Peterson, Woodbury, Minn./Flips (senior)
- Coaches Spectacular, Covington, Ky.: Lucie Kirchner, Carmel, Ind./Jaycie Phelps Athletic Center (senior); Bailey Stroud, New Palestine, Ind./Jaycie Phelps Athletic Center (junior)
- Kim Zmeskal’s Texas Prime Meet, Irving, Texas: Kamila Pawlak, Melissa, Texas/Metroplex Gymnastics (junior); Morgan Price, Coppell, Texas/Texas Dreams (senior)
- Lady Luck Invitational, Las Vegas, Nev.: Lillian Jennejohn, Provo, Utah/Bold Gymnastics – Utah (junior); Avery Neff, South Jordan, Utah/Olympus (senior)
- Star Struck Invitational, Atlantic City, N.J.: Jaydah Battle, Hampton, Va./World Class (senior); Elyse Wenner, Breinigsville, Pa./Stallone (junior)
- Tampa Bay Turners Invitational, Palmetto, Fla.: Jasmine Cawley, Clermont, Fla./Brandy Johnson’s Global Gymnastics (junior); Abby Martin, Bacliff, Texas/Pearland Elite (senior)
This year’s Nastia Liukin Cup, which will air live on the Olympic Channel, will feature 20 junior and 20 senior USAG Women’s Development Program Level 10 gymnasts vying for national bragging rights in each division. To date, 16 of 40 gymnasts have punched their tickets to Frisco with another six set to join them next weekend based on performances at the Houston National Invitational in Galveston, Texas, UGA Invitational in Tinley Park, Ill., and Circle of Stars in Indianapolis, Ind.
In its 13th year, the Nastia Liukin Cup was founded in 2010 by 2008 Olympic all-around champion Nastia Liukin.