Priessman wins inaugural Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup
WORCESTER, Mass., March 5, 2010 – Lexie Priessman of Cincinnati, Ohio, won the all-around title at the inaugural Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass. Kassandra Lopez of Tucson, Ariz., and Diandra Milliner of Andover, Kansas, finished second and third, respectively, in the 36-gymnast field that boasted competitors from 17 states across the country. Proceeds from the event go to the Nastia Liukin Fund, a charitable fund within the National Gymnastics Foundation.
“I’m kind of speechless to have my own meet and partner with Supergirl and USA Gymnastics and to commentate my first full-on live event for Universal Sports,” said 2008 Olympic all-around champion Nastia Liukin. “I hope all the girls had a great time and will remember this event their entire life because I know I will.”
Priessman, who trains at Cincinnati Gymnastics Academy, won the all-around with a total score of 38.400. On vault, she performed a double-twisting Yurchenko to score a 9.750. She earned a 9.450 on uneven bars, landing one of the only full-twisting double-layout dismounts in the competition. On floor exercise, she executed an impressive tucked full-twisting double-back to score a 9.475. In her final rotation, she earned a 9.725 on balance beam to secure the title.
“It was awesome to win,” said Priessman, who is 13. “First, meeting Nastia was a great experience and I’ve never won anything so big before. It’s a great honor!”
Lopez, who trains at Gym World East, posted a 37.675 in the all-around. Her individual scores were: a 9.450 on vault, a 9.425 on the uneven bars, a 9.425 on the balance beam and a 9.375 for the floor exercise. Milliner rounded out the top three with her total score of 37.400. Competing for Folgers, she earned 9.850 on vault, 9.350 on bars, 8.650 on beam and 9.550 on floor.
The complete results for the event are listed below.
The 36 competitors were chosen for the Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup based on performances at the 15 invitationals that comprised the Nastia Liukin Cup Series. Each invitational selected a minimum of two athletes from the respective Level 10/open fields. The Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup is a partnership between Warner Bros. Consumer Products, USA Gymnastics and Liukin. The Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup and the accompanying Nastia Liukin Cup Series provide a unique competitive opportunity for the country’s rising female gymnasts.
The Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup participants received a Nastia Liukin-designed leotard and a warm-up from GK Elite; two tickets to the Tyson American Cup and recognition during that event for the Cup’s medalists; and both met and had their photo taken with Liukin. For more information, go to www.nastialiukinsupergirlcup.com.
Nastia Liukin: At the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Liukin’s total of five medals tied the U.S. gymnastics record for most medals in one Olympic Games, currently held by Mary Lou Retton (1984) and Shannon Miller (1992). Liukin’s medals are: gold – all-around; silver – team, balance beam and uneven bars; and bronze – floor exercise. Liukin is just the third U.S. woman to win the Olympic all-around crown. Earlier in 2008, Liukin won the all-around title at both the Tyson American Cup and the Pacific Rim Championships presented by Gillette Venus. Liukin has nine world medals to her credit. For 2008, she was named the USOC’s Co-Sportswoman of the Year, the Women’s Sports Foundation’s Individual Sportswoman of the Year and the United States Sports Academy Female Athlete of the Year. Liukin and her teammates on the 2007 U.S. Women’s World Championships Team were selected as the 2007 U.S. Olympic Committee’s Team of the Year. She was also chosen as one of 2009’s most influential women by MSN Lifestyle. Liukin is still competing and is coached by her father, Valeri, who has four Olympic medals from 1988, including two gold. She trains at WOGA.
Warner Bros. Consumer Products: Warner Bros. Consumer Products, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is one of the leading licensing and retail merchandising organizations in the world.
DC Comics: DC Comics, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world and home to such iconic characters as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and The Sandman. These DC Super Heroes and others have starred in comic books, movies, television series (both animated and live-action) and cyberspace, thrilling audiences of all ages for generations. DC Comics’ Web site is located at www.dccomics.com.
2010 Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup Results
March 5, 2010
1. Lexie Priessman, Cincinnati, Ohio, 38.400
2. Kassandra Lopez, Tucson, Ariz., 37.675
3. Diandra Milliner, Andover, Kansas, 37.400
4. Gabrielle Douglas, Virginia Beach, Va., 37.200
5. Marie Case, Erie, Pa., 37.175
6. Jaclyn McCartin, Covina, Calif., 37.150
7. Mykayla Skinner, Gilbert, Ariz., 37.100
8. Sammie Musto, Franklinville, N.J., 37.050
9. Shealyn Farley, Lancaster, Pa., 37.025
9. Megan Marenghi, Plano, Texas, 37.025
11. Amelia Hundley, Hamilton, Ohio, 37.000
11. Kimberly Jacob, Raleigh, N.C., 37.000
13. Lloimincia Hall, Dallas, Texas, 36.900
14. Sarah Lokos, Damascus, Md., 36.875
15. Kiersten Wang, Colorado Springs, Colo., 36.800
16. Alexis Carroll, Gaithersburg, Md., 36.775
17. Shonacee Oliva, Groveland, Fla., 36.675
18. Nina McGee, Cincinnati, Ohio, 36.625
19. Shelby Salmon, Noblesville, Ind., 36.600
20. Pauline Hanset, Knoxville, Tenn., 36.475
21. Ashleigh Gnat, Lake Mary, Fla., 36.450
22. Summer Garcia, Lawrenceville, Ga., 36.425
23. Madison Krentz, Cave Creek, Ariz., 36.200
24. Hallie Benjamin, Fortville, Ind., 36.150
24. Maggie Lundeen, St Charles, Ill., 36.150
26. Alexa Davis, Harrisburg, Pa., 36.075
27. Lia Del Priore, Center Valley, Pa., 35.925
28. Mary Jane Horth, Akron, Ohio, 35.725
29. Nikole Addison, Fort Myers, Fla., 35.550
30. Stephani Canizaro, Nesbit, Miss., 35.525
31. Megan Walker, Brackney, Pa., 35.175
32. Hayley Sanders, McKinney, Texas, 35.000
33. Maliah Mathis, San Antonio, Texas, 34.925
34. Jazmyn Estrella, Allentown, Pa., 34.550
35. Kylie Fischer, Addison, Ill., 33.825
36. Lauren Beers, Warren Center, Pa., 9.300